2017 Community Service
PLACEMAT PROJECT FOR MEALS ON WHEELS
Thank you to those who have already made placemats for the Meals on Wheels project. The recipients truly appreciate the special touch you add to their holiday and beyond. Last year we donated 87 placemats!!
The placemats are approximately 14”x19”. Any similar size is fine. Some thoughts:
- You don’t have to use Christmas fabric, but you can. Some fabric is available from Lorraine or Betty. This is a great way to use scraps.
- Consider quilting as you go – at least the top to the batting. This is great for strips or center theme fabric surrounded by accents.
- I like to use warm and natural batting if quilting as I go, but other batting is fine if not too thick. I will have some batting precut at the June meeting for you to take.
- “Birth” the placemat by sewing the top and bottom (batting between), leaving a small section for turning it right side out. Finish the opening and stitch around the edge to secure.
- If you prefer doing a binding, consider doing it on the machine to save time.
- Have fun! These become addictive and are a great in-between project to whip up.
Sharing your talent with the community is so appreciated! I wish you all could be with me when I deliver them to Meals on Wheels to see the smiles and excitement!
Allen Community Outreach
Each month guild members collect items for the Allen Food Pantry. We are also collecting kids’ quilts for those in need. See Betty M. if you can contribute.